Friday, March 4, 2011

Adventures

I have been putting off this post for awhile because I am not sure how to express myself and everything that has happened to our family in the last couple months. It has been exciting, scary, overwhelming, exhausting, sad, happy, and so much more.

Mike decided in December that it was time for a change with work for a lot of reasons. His goal was to find something new before the first of the year and my reaction was not the greatest. I was really scared that this change would mean moving away from family and friends and it did but I am amazed at Mike's strength and ability to find great opportunities for our family in such a sort time period.  Things fell into place really fast and before we knew it we had a good job offer in Huston, TX. Within a week Mike and I were in the car driving to a new town 30 hours away. Huston is a beautiful place and I was pleasantly surprised. Mike started his new job a week later and I flew back to Boise. While he worked really hard in Huston I had the job of finding a renter for our home, packing everything, down sizing and selling our stuff, keeping up our kid's schedules, and trying to stay a float. It would not have happened without a ton of help from family and friends. My sister and mom come weekly to pack up the house, friends babysat my kids several times a week, friends and family took me out and hung out late at my house to keep me company and watch cheesy tv shows, ward members called often to check in on me, Sunday dinners were had at my mom's house every week, dinners were had at friend's houses often, a last minuet garage sale was put together with friends, Young Women and family came and helped clean my house, 25 men showed up to load our stuff into the moving truck, an amazing good bye party was put on, and so much more. I really felt so much love from everyone around me and it made it possible for me to make it through a very crazy 6 weeks.

The week before we were to be out of our house Mike got another job offer in Denver from a company he had been speaking with from the start of all of this. This was really hard from me because it was a much better offer with much better long term potential but I was already headed to Texas in my mind and ready for that adventure. The decision had to be made fast because we had to be out of our house and starting the Denver job in a week and a half. It was hard communicating with Mike over the phone and we were both exhausted and emotional. We didn't want to burn a bridge with the company in Texas and I was scared that he may not like the job in Denver as much as the one in Texas. As Mike always tells me if there is anxiety to be found I find it and sit on it as long as possible. After a lot of talks and many tears from my end we decided the job in Denver was the best option for our family. Now that we are here and settled I am not sure what all the tears were about.  Denver is closer to home, a better paying job, and Mike loves the job and is so excited for the future here. I think I was mostly concerned with burning ties with a company that has been so good to us for so many years before- (we both worked for the Texas company before we moved to Boise and still have a lot of good friends there.)

Anyway we are here, all is done for now! We were able to stay with my good friend Hailey in Denver until we found a house to rent. Hailey's husband Cale got Mike the interview with this job in Denver and we are so grateful to them for everything they have done for us. Its fun to be able to hang out with her again and for our kids to have instant friends. Colorado is very nice although it still feels like we are on vacation living in some random house with all our things. I miss my family and my wonderful friends in Boise so much. I am sure it will all take time but we will do great here I am sure of it. Mike's job is with the Ensign Group. He is in training right now for the next 9 months to become a director of a assisted living/ skilled nursing facility. He is learning a lot and is grateful to have this amazing opportunity.

I usually don't put such personal things on my blog but a lot of clarification was needed on our story and how we got to Denver. Half the people in our ward still thought we were going to Huston the day before we left. It was a crazy ride and there is still more to come but I am happy we are settled in a home as a family together. To me that was the most important thing of all so I am a happy girl.

Pictures soon to come of our new house! Thanks again for all of you that helped us through the last 8 weeks.

8 comments:

Ky"sa" March 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM  

Amber, I am so glad you are doing good and your house is feeling a little more settled. I was just scrolling through your pics on your blog and saw the one with Michael shaving his face; LOVE IT! I am missing kissing on Davis' cheeks! Man he's cute! Anyways our show is coming to an end in a couple weeks!!! What are you wagering; Emily or Shauntelle O.?? Keep in touch! Love ya ;) Give a big kiss and hug to your kiddos from their auntie kysa!!!

Becca, Bryce, T, C, and J March 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

Wow Amber!! Your life has been crazy!! I'm so glad it's settling down some! I'm so glad everything has turned out great in the end.
I think that Katie's husband is doing the same thing that Mike is doing! Weird!
Love ya - I'll call you soon to check up on you!

bizzymomma March 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

Amber, I am so sad we missed your going away party and helping you move. We were in Salt Lake for my nieces wedding. I am so glad that things turned out so well for you and wish you all the best.
Tami

Anna Beal March 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM  

We lived in Laramie for a couple years. It was the nest move for my husbands career. Luckily we are back to the Boise area. Good luck. I like Denver.

Tiffanyrose March 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

Wow, wow and WOW!!!! Amber what an incredible adventure for your family. You two are inspiring people.

Tiffany March 7, 2011 at 8:04 AM  

Glad to hear all is good! We miss your family bunches. Austyns still says "Micheals house" everytime she sees it!

Fujitales March 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

I am so glad to finally hear that you are safe and happy. It felt like we were sending you into the unknown! I hope you learn to love Denver as much as we do. Change is never fun, or easy. Take it from me, I sorta know about these things! This is such a great adventure you are on, we wish you the best of luck.

Nephi and Ruby Jensen March 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM  

Kristie said she talked to you last week and filled us in a little on your move to Denver. We hope you will like it. Change is always scary and being away from family will be a challenge. But new adventures in life are good. We are planning a trip there in April, maybe we can get together.